Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Memories




One of the best parts of quilting is having something tangible that evokes memories. Sometimes those memories come from the fabric itself like when we use pieces of the cute little dresses our daughters wore when they were young. Sometimes I remember exactly what I was doing at that point in my life when a particular quilt was made. Other times a quilt has been some well needed therapy, a bit of sanity in a sometimes chaotic world. I made this quilt when we moved from the coast of South Carolina to our home here in Idaho. I needed something to remind me of the beautiful coastline that had been our home for many years. The shark's tooth holds a fun memory of the many hours we spent searching the sand for fossilized shark's teeth. Each time we found one, it became a personal victory and a fun family competition. Each square has meaning. I'm so happy I made this quilt. Each time I walk by it I feel a soft southern humid wind breeze by my face and a whiff of salty marsh mud fills the air.

2 comments:

Paula said...

I forgot you lived in S Carolina. This quilt makes me want to go to the beach. We looooooove San Diego but haven't been for two years. It is so hard to be frugal and save!!! :)

Karen said...

I love all of the beach themed blocks in your quilt. I know what you mean about having a momento to remind you of the beach when you move away from it.