Saturday, July 9, 2011

Pillowcase Dresses

Last month while attending a humanitarian service work day, I noticed a table with a pile of cute little dresses. After asking around, I found out these were pillowcase dresses made to send to Africa. Each one was so unique and darling. Each one was actually made from a pillowcase. Many of them had an existing trim on the bottom and some even used additional fabric to add a pocket on the front.

I explained that I knew these dresses would be loved and needed because of the stories I've heard from my oldest son who is in Uganda for the summer doing a public health internship. I was asked if I would be able to get these dresses and several more over to Africa where my son could hand them out personally. Originally these dresses were going to be shipped to a business in New York where they would then be shipped off to Africa, but how fun for everyone involved if they could be personally handed out, photos taken, etc. I thought it was a great idea.

Last week I shipped them off to where several more intern students were getting ready to take off for Uganda this week. My son and others in his group are anxious to get the dresses and hand deliver them. He said he could think of so many little villages where these dresses will be a great blessing to many little girls.

All in all, there were 76 dresses sent. I can't wait to see pictures and I'll be sure to post them. I'm just the shipper of the dresses, but I'm so excited. My daughters and I want to make several more to send over and they are so easy!

Here is a great tutorial showing how to make these pillowcase dresses and here's another. This is just a small portion of the ones I shipped.




No comments: