Saturday, June 30, 2012

4-Sided Placemats

**I have added a few more pictures and better details about how these are made. This was originally posted 2 years ago. Since then Nancy's Quilt Shop has closed. I was sad to hear about that.

While in Vegas a couple weeks ago, I of course took time to check out a local quilt store, Nancy's, and I saw this pattern for a 4-sided placemat. I could see one of the placemats on display, but couldn't figure out how it could be 4-sided, so one of the sales people gave me a demonstration. Very creative! I immediately knew I wanted to give it a try. After only one error on my part, I whipped through the directions and made a 4-sided placemat of my very own in only about 20 minutes. So I made a set.

The template is pretty basic, but makes it so easy to place on top of a fat quarter and cut around the shape.













Then with 2 pieces of fabric right sides together, sew around one half of the placemat.












 In the picture you can see that I have folded back the second fabric to the right because I sewed halfway around the right side, then folded the fabric back on itself.





 Add your third piece of fabric on top face down, leaving second fabric folded back and stitch around the other half of the placemat and fold back that third fabric. Below you can see my second piece of fabric on the right, folded back and my third piece of fabric (which is a pieced scrap from another project) is on the left also folded back.
Above I turned back the top right and left corners just so you could see that it was folded back onto itself. Notice that you can see the first fabric showing a little right down the middle.
Add your fourth piece of fabric face down on top of the first three, leaving numbers 2 and 3 folded back and stitch all the way around leaving a small opening about 1 1/2" to turn the entire thing right side out. This feels a bit tricky, but once you press it well, it will make sense.  Close the small opening with a blind stitch and enjoy.














My girls love setting the table with them and deciding which side should show and even fold back some of the sides to show 3 sides together as seen in these last two photos.

16 comments:

Nanette Merrill and daughters said...

That is so cute. What a great idea!

Jan Lutz said...

Life always sounds so fun at your house!

Anonymous said...

Found your blog on 4-sided placemats. Could you expand on the instructions,pictures a little more. I'm confused!

Anonymous said...

I agree with anonymous. I need a few more instructions or pictures.

Anonymous said...

HELP! I actually purchased this pattern and still do not understand the instructions. QUESTION: When sewing the 3rd fabric, do I sew on the same half as previous (or on the half not previous sew)? Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Can you please provide a more of a step by step picture of how you get them all together. When you start adding the third one it get's confusing and doesn't help me move on to the fourth. Sorry totally confused. But this is a totally awesome idea! Want to start on Christmas presents, please help out more with your explanation. Thanks so much!

Naptime Seamstress said...

Did you put any interfacing or low-loft batting type thing in between the layers?

I'm excited to try this!

Dixie Logoyda said...

I'm also confused.I ended up with the first & last fabrics all right but the ones in the middle came out as two different sides. Help.

Kathi said...

Hi Dixie, I know it sounds confusing and it's hard to explain, but if you will email me (use my profile email) then I can figure out (hopefully) where you're not understanding.
I actually saw one in person, bought the pattern and still had trouble getting the big picture, but it really isn't hard, just confusing at first.
Kathi

obflmomma said...

Would it be possible to post a video on how to make 4-sided placemats? I too am confused by the instructions that came with the template.

obflmomma said...

Okay, I finally figured out how to sew on the last layer. Lay the final panel on top (right side in) aligning the center marker and all the edges. Pin in several places all the way around, but only to the unstitched panels underneath the one you just placed on top. Fold the bottom two panels on the right under the panels on the left side so that you will only stitch through the top two panels on the right. Stitch from the center around to the other side of the center. Stop. Turn the placemat around and fold the bottom two planel of the left side under the panels on the right side. Stitch around the top two panels as before, but this time leave an opening so you can turn the placemat right side out. Hope this helps.

Kathi said...

Thank you obflmomma! I'm hopeful that your explanation will help any who are still struggling with this. It's one of those things that's hard to put into words, so thank you!

Carol said...

Kathi-

Did you use the Pella fusible interfacing that the instructions recommended?

Thanks,
Carol

Kathi said...

Carol, no I chose not to use the Pellon mainly because I used some nice quality quilting material that had a nice weight to it. I know in the directions it gave you a choice if you wanted to use it to add to lighter weight material. I think that would be a good idea if your material is on the light weight side.

Anonymous said...

I made these for everyone at Christmas last year using fabrics that meant something to each of them. They LOVE them and use them all the time. I like to use a medium weight fusible on EACH piece, then sew together. It makes them lay nicer and wash up MUCH better. I used lighter interfacing on some and they do not wash as well. I also topstitch around all the edges. When washed, I put them on a quick cold cycle, then if its nice outside hang them on my clothesline to dry.--Just finishing a christmas set for my table of all retro/vintage prints for the holidays. :)

Kathi said...

Thanks for sharing how you made yours and especially how you wash them.It's all helpful.