I don't know what happened to my mind the other day while making a bias binding for my quilt. I couldn't find my little bias making tool, so I remembered from a quilt class years ago that if you pin into your ironing board with 2 pins, leaving the exact opening you want for the size bias you're making, you can just fold it and pull it through and iron it all in one smooth move. Well, it was going along swimmingly just as I had remembered until I lifted up my iron. What made me think I could leave my iron in the down position for such a long time (I made an extra long piece of binding) and not see any effects from it on the ironing board. My big board cover was burned (although I must say my binding turned out beautifully). Was this the price I had to pay? Not only was it burned, but the next day I must have still had a blank spot in my brain because as I began my new project and was ironing a pretty off white background piece I noticed the residue from the burn on the board was transferring to my white fabric. Ughh! Luckily it washed out. So this time I ironed it once more but on the other side of the ironing board this time. This other side only had a few heart shaped figures left over from an ambitious fusible webbing incident.
Then it dawned on me, make a new cover. My big ironing board is just a large rectangular piece of plywood on top of my regular ironing board and it has been wonderful. My first cover was just a gun metal grey color. I never really thought much of it. So first I looked through all my fabric that was at least 1 1/2 to 2 yards long (not many to choose from) and this is what I found. I quickly cut it to size, staple gunned it to the back leaving all the previous existing layers and look how great it looks now. I never thought I'd say this, but I actually enjoy looking at my ironing board every time I walk in the room now.